Chassis Number: DB4/148/R
Engine Number: 370/168
Date of first registration: 26 September 1959
Exterior Colour: Pacific Blue
Interior Colour: Blue Connolly Leather
Number 48 of 150 Series One Cars Built
This very original Aston Martin DB4 Series One was first sold new by Brooklands Garage, London on 26 September 1959 to Richard Gordon Ltd of South Audley Street, London.
Richard Gordon was the pen name for Gordon Ostlere a surgeon and anaesthetist, who also wrote the popular "Doctor" series of comic novels and the television, movie and stage adaptations commencing with "Doctor in the house" (1952) The car was shown at the pinewood studios while filming.
The second owner was a mrs B.J Smith of Burgess Hill, Sussex, unfortunately, little is know of the history during this time.
In 1968 the Aston Martin DB4 was purchased by third owner Mr Robin C Mckinney of Lisburn, County Antrim, Northern Ireland who was President of the Aston Martin Owners Club and Ulster Automobile Club for a number of years.
During this time Mr Malcolm MacGregor competed in a number events including the Spelga Pass Hill Climb (2nd) and the Soyn Fin Hill Climb (1st) both in 1968. Period photographs are in the history file.
In 1970's the Aston Martin DB4 was purchased by Mr Roy Jones (Fifth Owner) of Wickham Bishop, Essex. Roy worked for the Aston Martin Works Racing Team as a engine builder (article in the file). He worked on the successful DB3S and DBR1 racing engines and in later years rebuilding and tuning DB4 engines. (letter in file)
The sixth owners were joint brothers of Stephen and Jeffery Archer (sons of Alan Archer AMOC) and purchased the car in 1978 and kept it for three years.
In August 1978 the car was purchased to Mr Julian Rossar a keen Aston Martin enthusiast and for many years the AMOC area representative for South Wales. During the time of ownership a considerable amount of restoration work was undertaken, the majority of which was carried out by Jack Moss of Four Ashes Garage (Invoice in file).
The car was sold to Mr Sparks in September 1994 and was the longest standing owner until 2019 a period of 25 years.
Mr Sparks have extensive work and servicing carried out during his ownership with invoices in the file from 22Gt Racing and RS Williams which included chassis work, gearbox overhaul and some cosmetic work, all very well documented.
The car has numerous invoice, photographs, letters and MOTs to support the 136,500 miles the car has covered.
The car is in full working and driving order with good lines, gaps and correct shapes as a used DB4 should. The DB4 has a delightful aged patina about it and it is a car that you could just drive and enjoy without being concerned.
The car looks good feels good, drives really well and has a smell of a used Aston Martin, current owner will know exactly what that is.
Launched in October 1958, the DB4 marked a major turning point for Aston Martin as it was the first Aston Martin to carry Carrozzeria Touring's 'Superleggera' bodywork, in which light alloy panels were fixed to a framework of light-gauge steel tubes welded to a platform chassis. Although styled by Touring, the DB4's gorgeous fastback coachwork was built under license at Newport Pagnell by Aston Martin, which employed some of the finest panel beaters in the industry. The result was a car whose sleek lines were described as 'unmistakably Italian and yet... equally unmistakably Aston Martin.' The 3.7-litre, six-cylinder power unit was the work of Tadek Marek and had first been seen at Le Mans the previous year in the works DBR2 sports-racer.