It was Gerald Palmer who was a design engineer at the
Cowley plant who originally set the wheels in motion for a twin cam conversion
of the B series engine. A special light alloy cross-flow cylinder head carried
twin overhead camshafts with valve operation via Coventry Climax style inverted
The Chassis did differ slightly to that of the 1500
MGA and there were important changes to the brakes and wheels. In view of the
113 mph performance attainable, Dunlop 103/4" disc brakes were fitted both
front and rear together with Dunlop centre lock disc wheels carrying Dunlop
Road Speed tyres. Wire wheels were not available as an option.
Twin Cam badges that were fixed to the top bonnet
surround adjacent to the air intake grille and on the boot lid below the MG
Octagon that betrayed its identity
Problems with reliability very early on in its
production life affected the sales of the Twin Cam quite markedly and despite
its sparkling performance the car was regarded as a commercial failure due to
its cost. These problems were attended to by Abingdon but only just before
production ceased in mid 1959. In the
short production life of two years only 2,111 examples were produced, 1,801 of
which were roadsters. There is no doubt at the time, the Twin Cam was a car
that Abingdon was not particularly proud of, but today the car quite rightly
has its niche in the MG history book and is a much desired classic.
Engine: Four cylinder, in line, cast iron block, alloy head.
Bore & Stroke: 75.39mm x 88.9mm
Main bearings: 3
Compression Ratio: 9.9:1 initially, then 8.3:1
Valve gear: Twin overhead camshafts with shim adjusted bucket tappets.
Carburation: Twin semi-downdraught 1 3/4” SUs
Power output: 108 bhp @ 6,700 rpm
Maximum Torque: 104 lbft @ 4,500 rpm
Transmission: Four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd and
Clutch: Borg and Beck dry plate.
Suspension: Front - independent by coil springs, wishbones and Armstrong
lever arm dampers. Rear - Live rear axle, half elliptic leaf springs, Armstrong
lever arm dampers.
Steering: Rack and pinion.
Wheels and tyres: Duniop pressed steel centre lock disc with 5.90-15
Dunlop cross ply tyres.
Brakes: Dunlop disc brakes front and rear 10.75" diameter discs.
Performance: 0-60 mph; 9.1 secs
Maximum speed: 113 mph
Number built: 2,111 between 1958 and 1960
Price new: Roadster; £843. Coupe; £904
This YD1 Twin Cam Roadster was originally a right hand
drive UK car and was delivered in October 1959 It was converted to left hand
drive and restored when it left the UK for Finland, where it has had limited
use and well looked after.
The car has twin Webber side draft carburettors
fitted, which makes the car sound wonderful.
The hood is new and has well fitting side screens. All European taxes
paid and ready to drive.
Thanks to MG Owners Club